Kid-Friendly Guided Adventures
El Rancho De Las Golondrinas Living History Museum
- June 2 through October 3, Wednesday to Sunday, 10 am to 4 pm.
- May and October the museum is closed to the public.
- During the months of November–March the museum is CLOSED.
- Adults $6.00
- Seniors over 62 years of age and teens ages 13-17 are $4
- Children 12 and under are free!
- Great for Kids of All Ages, Parents, and Grandparents
- The indoor museum is Handicap Accessible. However, the outdoor exhibits are difficult to maneuver with a stroller and would be very intimidating for a wheelchair. Much of the terrain is either dirt or gravel, doorways of the traditional buildings are small, and much of the park is sloped.
- Free parking
- Plan to visit at least 2 hours. Bring a picnic lunch or eat at the Youthworks Cafe near the front entrance. Check out their menu here.
A El Rancho De Las Golondrinas Living History Museum is a teaching and home schooling dream! Immerse your kids in learning about Santa Fe and the Royal Road from Mexico City at this genuine 1700’s ranch, “The Ranch of the Swallows.” This museum is an amazing opportunity to see how an actual ranch of the era funcitoned. They can touch, taste, smell, and hear all about the ranch for full retention of the information!
Kids can see what it was like to live on a Santa Fe ranch, learn crafts they can build at home, see livestock, and participate in special events celebrating the history of the ranch.
There are self-guided and expert-guided tours of the expansive ranch. There are over 47 outdoor exhibits, many of which host volunteers who demonstrate the rich history of the ranch and the function of the exhibit. There is so much to see and do here I recommend a full day–maybe even a week– to explore.
Check out their website for more information and resources.
Santa Fe Rafting Company
The Santa Fe Rafting Company is located on Cerrillos Rd., near Railyard Park. This family-owned business leads white-water rafting tours on the Rio Grande and Rio Chama. They offer half, full, and multi-day tours during the summer. The different tours cater to all different ages.
“Mellow” sections of the rivers allows younger children and squeamish adults to enjoy the rivers as much as the white water rapids cater to thrill-seekers and older children.
Check out their website for more information and to book your adventure.
Santa Fe Mountain Adventures
Santa Fe Mountain Adventures specializes in private customized outdoor adventures and cultural tours in the Rockies and the Southwest. Their adventures include hikes, mountain biking, 4×4 “jeep” off roading, multi-day basecamp tours, and adventures specifically for families with kids.
Check out their website for more information about their programs and to book your adventure.